Sunday, June 08, 2008

...Pass the Deviled Eggs

WELL, big surprise. I ate too much. In my feeble defense, I was a "victim of circumstance..." Good Food, nice breeze, and tolerable family. (the "Family Reunion Trifecta" if you will.)
As predicted yesterday, attendance WAS down. Less than 40 turned out... Some due to illness, but several due to fuel costs. Gas was $3.72 when I left Stillwater, OK Friday... It is $3.95 here in east Texas... Lord only knows what it'll be when I load up the ol' Sport Wagon Family Truckster for the drive back home on Tuesday...
The church grounds where we have the annual get together have been around a long, long time. The Mt. Zion Baptist Church of Christ was founded in Lodi, TX back in 1851. The original building was lost to fire and replaced with the current one in 1885. Its a little one-room church, with wooden pews, a wood-burning stove fo heat, and an old wooden pulpit. The piano dates back to 1908. The church is only open for services on reunion Sundays, and it is listed on the Texas historical register.
Which brings me to another observation: TEXAS has way too many "historic markers!" It seems like every few miles, there is another marker signifying where Davy Crockett or Daniel Boone slept, ate, killed something, or drank a Snapple on their way to the Alamo. If they are all accurate, they must have wandered across Texas like Moses and the Israelites searching for the promised land before finding their way to San Antonio! (hmm... I just remembered... Texans DO refer to this as "God's Country.")
Well, we are on our way back to Paris (Texas) now... Before I trek back to Tornado Alley on Tuesday, I will try and get a photo of Paris, TX's 2 main tourist attractions: Their own Eiffel Tower (complete with a cowboy hat and huge feather!), and a statue of Jesus... wearing cowboy boots!
(oh... The deviled eggs were delicious!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmm. Deviled eggs! worth $3.95 a gallon any day!

Terri Osburn said...

I don't like deviled eggs, but I'm interested in seeing that Eiffel Tower. LOL! I'm trying to figure out exactly where they put the feather...